“Put one foot in front of the other and soon you’ll be walking ‘cross the floor.” Remember the song lyrics in the stop motion animated Christmas classic Santa Claus is Coming to Town? Every goal is achieved by putting one foot in front of the other either literally or figuratively. Yet these small steps and anything worth doing includes dedication and commitment.
Look at the Israelites. Putting one foot in front of the other in the desert for 40 years was a consequence of bad choices. Repeatedly disobeying God after fleeing Egypt, they paid the price by meandering for a generation. The consequences of our choices may not be as severe but can be as impactful.
If I excuse eating the donut or blow off exercising today, it’s easier to do the same tomorrow. Suddenly I’m slipping down a serpentine slope, full of twists and turns. Remaining diligent and steadfast while making wise choices and not excuses enables me to stride toward the wellness I ultimately desire.
How are your goals on the Wellness Sprint to Summer going? After excusing myself from exercising for no good reason a few weeks ago, I am literally putting one foot in front of the other exercising each day. Here are some tips I’ve learned about staying the course and remaining loyal to my wellness choice:
- Plan it into my day. If I plan and carve out the time, then I have no excuse.
- Vary the exercise routine (what and/or where) to keep it interesting. Nothing fuels excuses more than boredom. Change things up and allow no room for boredom-whether it’s exercise, healthy eating etc. Whatever your goal, keep it interesting.
- Set a target date but also have small wins to stay motivated. For this wellness “sprint”, my target date is May 31. But I also have mini-goals within my workout each day-run to that tree, walk for 5 more minutes etc. Success encourages repeat behavior.
- Share my goal with someone I trust to hold me accountable. Ideally, this person will encourage and motivate, not guilt or shame.
- No excuses! If the goal is SMART there’s no reason not to accomplish tasks towards the greater goal. Don’t allow excuses to creep in.
- Be flexible-this is meant to be an enjoyable challenge on my wellness journey. Finding pleasure striding the wellness path is a major component. If something changes, adapt and change with it.
- Find encouragement in the everyday. I love music and an inspirational song encouraging me lately is Impossible by Building 429. “Nothing is unreachable when we trust the God of miracles” is my favorite line. Wisdom in a lyric.
Keep pressing towards your goals my friends, whatever they are. Remember all of our earthly goals should begin and be fueled by our greater goal to serve and obey God. All of our wellness comes from Him; trust in Him. Dedicated choices and committed actions lead to a well life.
As God reminded the Israelites before entering the promised land:
You can make this choice by loving the Lord your God, obeying him, and committing yourself firmly to him. This is the key to your life. And if you love and obey the Lord, you will live long in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.” ~Deuteronomy 30:20
We too can enter the promised land of life eternal with God through Jesus. We are called to live our lives for Him. We journey this life by remembering nothing is impossible when we trust the God of miracles. And put one foot in front of the other.